Advocacy & Policy
LAUL works in partnership with local, state and federal government, major colleges and universities, non-profit agencies and private sector firms to provide unique connections between the power structure, communities and the information and services each need.
The tenets of the American Dream serve as our framework as we work toward ensuring that all of our brothers and sisters may enjoy the following opportunities:
- To Thrive: Every child in America deserves to live a life free of poverty that includes a safe home environment, adequate nutrition, and affordable quality health care.
- Every child in America deserves a quality education that will prepare them to compete in an increasingly global marketplace.
- To Earn: Every willing adult in America should have a job that allows them to earn a decent wage and provide a reasonable standard of living for themselves and their families.
- Every adult in America should have equal access to the resources that enhance employability and job mobility, including postsecondary education and other investments in human capital.
- To Prosper: Every individual in America who possesses entrepreneurial vision, ingenuity, drive, and desire should have access to the resources needed to establish and grow a viable business enterprise.
- To Own: Every adult in America should have access to the financial security that comes from owning a home.
To accomplish this mission, our four-pronged strategic approach helps us:
- Identify principles that reflect the values inherent in the American dream
- Examine conditions that have separated a significant portion of our population, particularly poor and disadvantaged residents of the County and City of Los Angeles – from accessing that dream
- Engage diverse stakeholder for honest evaluation and discussion
- Develop programmatic and policy recommendations intended to bridge the gap between conceptualization and realization of the American dream.